I believe that moderation is the key to sustaining healthy and balanced eating habits. Most of the time, I eat wholesome foods that fuel my active lifestyle. And other times … well, I eat other stuff and I’m not ashamed to admit it.
I mean, why do I work so hard to stay healthy and strong if not to enjoy my life to the fullest? In my opinion, part of that is the ability to have something truly and ridiculously decadent every now and then — without guilt or shame. After all, food only has as much power of us as we give it. And I decided long ago that a few s’mores were not going to be enough to make me feel bad about myself.
And it’s a good thing too because, truth be told, I’ve always had a huge sweet spot in my heart for s’mores. Growing up, we had a fire pit in the backyard and we used to go camping a lot. So, needless to say, I’ve got so many great memories of roasting marshmallows, assembling that ooey gooey goodness, and licking my fingers with a chocolate-covered smile. Keep your fancy desserts, I’ll take the s’mores please.
And, the combo of marshmallow, chocolate and graham crackers — while classic and magical — is really only just the beginning. Seriously, Google it. There are some bonafide s’mores geniuses out there.
So, in honor of National S’mores Day, I’m sharing a few of my favorite ideas — both the elaborate (for when you’re ready to go big) and simple ways to add more s’mores to your day-to-day operations. You’re welcome.
Clever Ways to Upgrade Your S’mores
- Jonesing for some peanut butter? Sub out the chocolate bar for a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.
- Mint lovers can swap out the chocolate bar for a Peppermint Patty.
- Swap out the graham crackers for your favorite cookies like chocolate chip, peanut butter (noticing a PB theme here?), or these yummy gluten-free vanilla graham cookies.
- Add Nutella. Nuf said.
- Use add some fruit. In fact, if you’re not a fan of marshmallow, swap it out for a small piece of grilled fruit like a banana, peach or strawberry (use your imagination) to add sweetness, warmth and just the right amount of squish. Or swap out apple slices for the graham crackers for Apple Pie S’mores.
- Make this lighter open-face indoor version.
- S’more-ify your energy bars.
- Keep your cool by serving them ice (cream) cold.
- And while you’re at it, drink them in your milkshake.
- Go crazy and make whoopie (pies).
- Have them for breakfast in your overnight oats.
What’s in your s’mores? —Alison