There’s a little frozen cocktail bar in Kansas City that I ADORE. Snow & Co. is not your typical daiquiri bar either. It’s artful — a true foodie’s and mixologist’s dream. We’re talking craft, made-from-scratch frozen cocktails with real juice, premium spirits and handmade syrups. In fact, Paste Magazine named it the BEST frozen cocktail bar in America.
Don’t live in Kansas City?
Or, get yourself a copy of SLOSHIES: 102 Boozy Cocktails Straight from the Freezer by Jerry Nevins, co-founder of Snow & Co. This book is full of recipes, which — based on a simple granita technique — allow you to make frozen cocktails straight from your freezer with no special equipment needed. Just mix the fresh ingredients, stick them in a Ziploc in the freezer, and wait until they’re slushy (the alcohol doesn’t freeze, so they naturally get that perfect icy consistency).
And while you’re waiting for your copy to arrive, try out this recipe for the Cool Hand Luke from the book!
- 2 ounces water
- 9½ ounces Simple Syrup
- 4 ounces lemon juice
- 2¾ ounces lime juice
- 2¼ ounces Pimm’s Blackberry & Elderflower
- 12¼ ounces Thatcher’s Organic Cucumber Liqueur
- 7½ ounces whole milk
- Combine: Place the water, simple syrup, lemon juice, lime juice, Pimm’s and cucumber liqueur in a medium-size metal bowl and stir.
- Blend: Add the milk to the bowl slowly, using an immersion blender to emulsify the mixture.
- Freeze: Pour the liquid into a large freezer bag and place it in the freezer until frozen, approximately 4 hours. Alternatively, pour the liquid into an ice cream maker and proceed per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve: When you’re ready to drink, massage the freezer bag by hand until it’s a wet, slushy consistency. If it’s not breaking up, run the bag quickly under hot water and massage some more.
Glass: Floral Bowl
Garnish: cucumber wheel and blackberries
And you thought frosé was great, huh?! —Jenn