Earlier this year I declared my undying love and loyalty to my Instant Pot — it’s made cooking soups, stews and all kinds of stir fry recipes a total pleasure. In fact, I have been obsessively scouring Pinterest boards and blogs devoted to the amazing device for gluten-free and Paleo recipes of all kinds.
So you might be able to guess the level of excited I got when Fit Bottomed Eats was given a copy of The I Love My Instant Pot Recipe Book by Michele Fagone of Cavegirl Cuisine for review. (I let out a big “Woot!” and accepted the assignment right away.)
This book is the perfect companion piece for my Instant Pot with 175 easy-to-follow recipes that are both quick to pull together and tasty. Not only does Fagone cover Paleo and gluten-free meals, but also vegetarian and gluten-laden options such as mushroom risotto and macaroni and cheese. I’ve experimented with several recipes from the book including an amazing bone broth, Korean short ribs and carnitas lettuce wraps.
My absolute favorite recipe is the Sweet Potato Morning Hash — it’s the perfect meal to have after a good workout session. It’s a nice combination of savory and sweet and is incredibly easy to prepare. The only extra item you need to have on hand is a glass bowl that fits inside the pot.
The publishers were generous enough to let us share the recipe, which I encourage you to play around with. I have made my own little adjustments to the recipe, including substituting sweet potato for butternut squash and using sausage infused with sage and garlic (no need for Italian seasonings!).
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Press the Saute button on Instant Pot®. Stirfry sausage, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and
- bell pepper for 3–5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Transfer mixture to a 7-cup greased glass dish. Pour whisked eggs over the sausage
- Place trivet in Instant Pot®. Pour in water. Place dish with egg mixture onto trivet. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual button and adjust time to 5 minutes. When timer beeps, quick-release pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid. Remove dish from Instant Pot®. Let sit at room temperature for 5–10 minutes to allow the eggs to set. Slice and serve.
What are your favorite meals to create in an Instant Pot? —Margo