How much do you freaking love a big, beautiful bowl of fresh, seasonal, nutritious food? I mean, you know how we feel about our Big Ass Salads here in the Fit Bottomed World, but our love for big bowls of deliciousness doesn’t stick to salads — not by a long shot. Soups, sauteed veggies, Buddha bowls, market bowls and more are fair game, so when we caught wind of this fresh market bowl recipe from Clean Food Dirty City’s Lily Kunin (who you might remember from the super delish cauliflower taco recipe a few weeks back), we knew we had to get it out to you guys, like, NOW.
The funny thing about a market bowl like this is that Lily describes it as a “no-recipe recipe,” meaning that she modifies it a bit each time based on what veggies are in season — and that’s reflected in the recipe (or, should we say “recipe”?) below. Lily also says:
Beyond the veggies, I like to stick to having some type of grain (I love brown rice in this bowl) and a satisfying crunch of nutrient-rich toasted almonds. Almonds are full of fiber and protein, helping to keep you satiated and full. Don’t forget to add something tangy and pickled. I picked up kimchi and sweet and spicy pickles from the Union Square Greenmarket, but you can top it with any of your favorite fermented food or pickle. Enjoy as is if you prefer a vegan option or top it with a fried egg. What really brings it all together is the almond-tamari sauce. Drizzle it all over your bowl and dig in!
- Almond-Tamari Sauce
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup gluten-free, low-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Market Bowl
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 cups chopped mixed vegetables such as: Brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli, delicata squash, green beans, cauliflower and leeks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- A pinch of sea salt or pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pasture-raised eggs
- 1 cup of kimchi and/or pickles
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- For the almond-tamari sauce: Combine all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Add ¼ cup of warm water as you whisk ingredients together. Continue to add warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency (it should be pourable but slightly thick).
- For the market bowls: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prep vegetables to be about the same size so they cook evenly. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly in a single layer on the sheet pan and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until they are browned and tender, depending on the size of your vegetables. Remove the vegetables and turn the oven down to 375°F.
- Add some ghee to an oven-safe nonstick or cast iron pan. Crack in the eggs (as many that can fit at one time) and cook until the whites turn opaque. You can simply flip them for an over easy or over medium egg, or place oven safe pan into oven for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until the whites are fully set.
- Divide the brown rice and vegetables between 4 bowls. Top each with kimchi, pickles, a fried egg, a sprinkling of almonds, and a hearty drizzle of almond-tamari sauce.
Are you as big a fan of the “put an egg on it” mentality as we are? —Kristen