We often think of pancakes as kind of a sweet morning treat, but it’s not all that hard to turn a regular ol’ flapjack into a pretty darn nutritious breakfast. And after checking out Shine Organics’ CALM pouch and seeing how it works in this banana pancake recipe, we’re realizing it’s easier than ever.
We know what you’re thinking: Pouch? In a pancake? For adults? But hear us out. The Shine Organics CALM pouch used in this recipe has loads of grown up nutrition, but in an easy-to-grab-and-sip container: Banana, pumpkin, coconut, blackberry, vanilla, passion flower and chia. It’s a good source of vitamin C and potassium, has plenty of omega-3s, and — probably most importantly — tastes delish. They sent us a few to check out, and you have to admit — it’s pretty cool to have a handy snack like this that doubles as a yummy pancake ingredient, right?
So! With no further ado, here’s your new fave banana pancake recipe! Keep calm and breakfast on.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup milk (substitute: almond or coconut)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (substitute: coconut oil)
- 1 Shine Organics Calm Pouch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 very ripe bananas
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the baking soda and salt.
- In a second small bowl, lightly beat the egg and stir in the melted butter, honey, milk and contents of the Calm pouch. Mix well.
- Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry mix, whisking until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a small pan or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease with butter or coconut oil.
- Scoop ¼ cup of the batter for each pancake.
- Flip after 1 minute or when the pancake is golden brown (and let brown on the other side).
- Thinly slice the ripe banana and layer between each warm pancake as you cook them (note that the warmth of the pancakes will help further soften the banana).
- Serve immediately (optional: serve with maple syrup for extra sweetness).
Got a breakfast recipe that’s sneakily healthy like this? Share! —Kristen