Want to kick off your week the right way? I’m all about a healthy, filling, totally delicious breakfast to start my day pretty much any day, but making myself a bit of a special breakie on a Monday morning? That sends a message: The week has arrived, and I am here to greet whatever it cares to bring with it. (Although, of course, I always hope it mostly brings good things that I love, like sparky water and puppies.)
Go ahead and treat yourself this morning — or any other morning — with this tasty and healthful pistachio pancake recipe from Sara Siskind, Certified Nutritional Health Counselor and founder of Hands On Healthy (which offers cooking classes for adults, families and teens based in New York). Don’t forget to make the syrup, too!
Pistachio Pancakes With Cranberry Syrup
- ⅓ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sugar
- dash salt
- dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup Setton Farms Pistachios, chopped finely
- ½ tbsp. butter, melted
- Cranberry Syrup
- 1 and ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ⅓ fresh lemon with skin
- For the Pancakes: In a small bowl, add pistachios and butter, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix Greek yogurt, milk, vanilla extract and egg whites into a small bowl.
- In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon & salt.
- Combine and whisk till evenly mixed.
- Fold in pistachio mixture.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place a scant ¼-cup batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles start appearing through the top of the pancake and then flip. NOTE: Cook on medium heat , about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- For the Syrup: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until berries pop. Serve warm.
What’s your favorite pancake topping? Ever since my first trip to Hawaii, I’m a bit partial to banana pancakes with mac nuts. —Kristen