My parents were always big entertainers. Our house was where all my friends hung out — and my parent’s friends too. Naturally, I caught the entertaining gene, and I believe a good, solid food tray can go a long way.
I truly believe the key to hosting is a well-rounded snack buffet, starting with one simple tray. It’s my go-to, and my personal favorite to bring to a friend’s house as well! Here’s how to make your party tray easy but awesome.
- Think color. Let your tray be vibrant and act as a centerpiece. Color can come from your fruits and vegetables (both raw and dry).
- Create contrast in texture and flavor. Mix in some salt from nuts and some crunch from crackers. For cheeses, mix it up to give your guests the best experience possible is key. Go for contrasting texture and taste, soft to hard, creamy to crumbly and sharp to mellow.
- Deliver the dip. Having different dips for guests to try is tasty and fun. My dip of choice is hummus, always. You can easily make an edamame hummus to accompany a chickpea one too! Once I spoon this on my platter, I like to drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some paprika on for a fresh flare. My salt of choice is pistachios and some roasted almonds of some kid- either sweet or spicy.
- Perfect the presentation. I love to throw all of this on one large platter. I adore a rustic look, personally. People eat with their eyes first, so make it jaw-dropping! I slice up and crumble most of my cheese, which encourages guests to try it all. Mix it up — dividing cheeses up with fruits, adding some vegetables and dips here and there. I love sprinkling fruits throughout the tray, too — raspberries, grapes and blueberries are excellent choices.
- Need to save time? Shop smart. If you’re short on time, purchase pre-sliced vegetables. Then, all you’ll need to do is slice your cheeses, wash your vegetables and make it glamorous!
Have fun with this! It’s seriously so easy.
Got any hosting tips you’d like to share? Or a picture of an amazing party platter? Let us know in the comments or hit us up on Instagram and Twitter at @fitbottomedeats! —Jennifer