A couple of weeks ago we had Erika and her boyfriend over for a little grill out. I made some watermelon-mint-feta salad, hummus, roasted potatoes, some boxed gluten-free brownies (thanks, TJ’s!) and burgers. Because, summer.
Holy nutritionals, Batman (or, Burgerman)!
The full flax burger recipe is below, but I did make a few tweaks to make it my own and gluten-free. First, I went with bison meat. Erika had never had bison before, and you guys know how I feel about my bison! Second, I used gluten-free bread for both the bread crumbs and the buns. Third, I added more garlic and mustard. Because I like garlic and mustard.
And they turned out really, really well! Especially with my favorite toppings — tomato and onion (I forgot to buy lettuce the day before, doh!).
I probably should have cut back on some of the water or added in more bread crumbs or flax since my burger mixture was a touch too wet, but, I’m going to fault myself and not the recipe for that one since I went off script a bit. Hey, you grill and you learn.
Anyways, try it!
- 1 pound thawed ground beef, lean ground turkey or bison, veal or your favorite meat.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Carrington Farms Organic Milled flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup soft bread crumbs (1 slice of bread)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mix together meat, onion, garlic, flax and bread crumbs.
- Lightly beat water and egg together and add to mixture. Add mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook on a grill or stove top until no pink remains (about 12 mins).
What’s your favorite thing to throw on the grill? We also had some grilled avocado and pickle spears, and they were everything. —Jenn