Tomorrow begins a new year, and we’d like to start it on a sweet, healthy note. So while we’re toasting with our glasses of champagne (or, okay in my case, sparkling grape juice), we’ll also be noshing on these totally tasty and easy-to-whip-up 100-calorie apple-oatmeal muffins from Paulding & Company, a full catering kitchen based in San Francisco founded by mother-daughter duo Tracy and Terry Paulding. They’ll make for a great breakfast addition, too — if there are any leftovers, that is!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 unpeeled medium size tart apple such as a pippin or granny smith, grated
- choice of flavor additions (listed in notes below)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour OR 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ⅔ cup unbleached flour OR ⅔ cup almond flour, if making gluten-free muffins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, oats, eggs, sugar, apple and your choice of optional flavor additions below. (This may be done the night before and refrigerated.)
- Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-muffin tin very well, or line it with muffin liners. Fold sifted dry ingredients gently into buttermilk mixture until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill muffin tins (easy with an ice cream scoop). Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until brown and fragrant. Loosen from tins immediately. These muffins keep well for several days and can be frozen.
*1 cup fresh blueberries, plus grated zest of 1 orange or lemon
*2/3 cup raisins and ½ cup chopped walnuts
*1 cup fresh cranberries (ADD ⅓ cup white sugar)
* ⅔ cup dried cherries or cranberries and ½ cup chopped pecans
*You get the idea, make up your own combos!
How are you ringing in the New Year? I’ll be hanging with friends and making merry! —Jenn