Last week, I shared a pretty fab new cookbook with you all — Grilled Cheese and Beer — and I mentioned that the authors were pretty witty and not shy with the puns. Well, today, I’m sharing an excellent example with one of their recipes: The Nature Boy Ricotta Flair Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Let’s be real — if you’re gonna name a sammie after the greatest pro wrestler of all time, it’s gotta be a good one, right? And this sandwich looks SO GOOD.
Quick tangent: How many of you watched WWF (now WWE) as kids? I was super into it for a while, back in the early to mid-80s. Hulk Hogan was kind of a favorite at that time, but I also sort of loved Jake the Snake. And — true story — just last year I went to a local tribute to Macho Man Randy Savage (and got a little upset that people kept saying Randy “Macho Man” Savage because, come on! Who says it in that order?!).
Right. Okay. Food. Take a look at this recipe and just try to tell me it’s not worth loosening your belt — championship belt or not — a notch or two.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 spoonful ricotta cheese
- 3 basil leaves
- 2 halves roasted red peppers
- Handful of spinach
- Balsamic vinaigrette, to drizzle
- Grease one side of each slice of bread and place in a pan on medium heat, greased side down.
- Lightly spread ricotta on the bread so that all of the bread is covered.
- When the bread starts to turn golden brown, put the basil, roasted red peppers, and spinach on the bread.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over the sandwich.
- When the bread is golden brown, take it out of the pan, slice, and enjoy.
From Grilled Cheese & Beer, Hatherleigh Press, © 2016. Reprinted with permission.
If you could name a sandwich after anyone, who would it be … and what would the sandwich include? —Kristen