A couple months ago, Kristen, Erin and I gathered for our annual FBG Partners’ Retreat. At said retreat we did very business-like things like brainstorm, plan out content, use big words, and map out goals and strategies for total world domination. But you know the other thing we did? We snacked. We snacked like whoa on some really tasty things. Plus, on my trip to and from Florida, I found some really tasty treats to keep me fueled. So I thought: hey, why not share some of our faves? Gluten-free, natural and delicious, they all make for fantabulous healthy travel snacks — no matter if you’re on your way to a work trip or just a workout (which, for us, is both, ha!) … or just — ahem — sitting around the pool.
And so here. we. GO!
5 Healthy Travel Snacks
1. Justin’s. These single-serve packages of nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut butter) are glorious. Pair it with some carrots or a piece of fruit and you have an awesome snack. Or you know, just eat the chocolate hazelnut straight on its own as a sweet treat at the airport.
2. Annie Chun’s Seaweed Crisps Korean Style BBQ. These are a seaweed revelation. Thicker than your usual seaweed/nori snacks, these are crunchy and baked with brown rice. They have so much flavor, we couldn’t stop munching them.
Nice nutritionals, too, for what basically is a better-for-you chip, huh?
Our only complaint with these? We want them in a larger sized bag!
Oh, wait … how did that get in there? And how did it get so EMPTY? Um, official FBG business, guys …
3. thinkThin Protein But Bites. I take thinkThin Protein Bars with me almost every where I go. After all, they are one of my favorite go-to healthy travel snacks and have been for years. But these new thinkThin Protein Nut Bites are so, so, SO great.
Basically like a really tasty protein-and-nut bar chopped up in little pieces, it’s just a really convenient way to snack intuitively. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I’m hungry but don’t need an entire protein bar. But, really, what are you to do with a half eaten protein bar when you’re on the go? Throw it away? Hope it doesn’t melt in your bag? Um, no thank you. These little bites come in a resealable container, so you can nibble as much or as little as you want. (Warning though: if you are quite hungry, it’s easy to down the whole container before you know it. So, you know, pros and cons.)
4. Ginger’s Healthy Habits Veggie Trail Mix. Confession: I was planning to take this to the FBG retreat. No, really, I was! And then I tried some at home before the trip and somehow it all just disappeared.
Made entirely of dehydrated vegetables and nuts, I have to say I was skeptical. Like, I really, really like veggies and all but a trail mix that tastes like pepperoni pizza? Like, that has to be impossible, right? Nope. Ginger did it, yo. This stuff captures everything you love about pepperoni pizza — the spice, the tomatoes, the cheesy flavor — but it’s all done with spices, nuts and raw veggies. Organic, vegan and gluten-free, it also comes in the delicious flavors of Maple Cinnamon and Garlic & Herb, although pepperoni pizza is our fave. I mean my fave. (Sorry, Erin and Kristen!)
Another empty bottle? Told you guys we had a lot of fun working on “the business.” (True fact: both bottles were EXCELLENT.)
5. Kuali Snack Bars. So, these were our least fave of the healthy snacks we tried, but I don’t think it’s because they’re not good. I just don’t think we “got them” — I think with time I could develop a taste for them (kinda like how I did with curry and beets; some flavors just take time to dig, ya know?).
A little sweet and very chewy, these tasted like grass to me. Like, A LOT like grass. Not exactly unpleasant. Just grassy. So grassy. Also didn’t get much cocoa flavor, but they certainly did taste healthy and natural. And they were filling. Kristen gave me one after I got off the plane and half of it got me through until Erin landed and we got a proper lunch. And, it’s worth noting that Kristen noshed on the cranberry flavor later and liked it much better.
Have any favorite healthy travel snacks of your own? Any new faves? There are so many healthy new snacks out there that it’s pretty impossible to get bored! —Jenn