Does any food complement a cold winter night quite like a warm bowl of chili? It’s the type of comfort food that, once a craving sets in, all you can do is whip out your favorite chili recipe and hit the kitchen.
What’s that? You don’t have a favorite chili recipe? Or you do, but it’s not exactly the kind of healthy dish that fits in with your fit plans for the new year? That’s cool, because our affiliate pals at Grokker have a sweet potato chili recipe you’ll go crazy over.
Even better? It uses your slow cooker, which means it’s easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and in 2-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or ⅔ cup dried beans, soaked overnight and boiled briskly for 10 minutes (See Grok Moment)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (whatever's on sale, mine had oregano and roasted garlic)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- Use a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Peel and chunk the sweet potato and add to the pot.
- Add diced onion. Follow with the red bell pepper, can of tomatoes, the beans, garlic, and seasonings.
- Pour in OJ and water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato is fork-tender
Do you use your slow cooker often? Truthfully, I really don’t, but this recipe has me inspired to bring it out and dust it off. There’s little I love more than a vegan recipe that appeals to a crowd! —Kristen