Maybe you are blessed with year-round balmy weather and live in a land where the palm trees sway, but where I live it’s cold and downright crappy! Seasonal changes often create comfort food cravings, and nothing is more soul-warming then the humble casserole. And yes, I do include the casserole among one of the best healthy dinner ideas!
I just don’t understand why this one dish wonder gets such a bad rap. Casseroles are adaptable as hell and practically foolproof. You can mix and match ingredients to accommodate what’s hanging around in your cupboard or swap ‘em out to cater to special dietary needs.
Think about the possibilities. Chicken, kamut and broccoli topped with an almond crunch would be delightful. Or how about a spicy ground beef concoction with rice, green chilies, red peppers, taco seasoning and pepper jack cheese to warm your belly on a cold winter’s night?
Fuel your body and satisfy a comfort craving with one of these healthy dinner ideas. Use your favorite recipe, but ditch the processed canned soup and make your own creamy sauce instead. Pick a protein, veg and carb from the following list; toss in a fancy extra, add a topper, pop that bad boy in the oven and voila, dinner is served.
Serves: 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and continue cooking until the mixture bubbles and forms a thick paste.
- Lower heat and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should remain white and not brown.
- Slowly incorporate the milk and stir over medium low heat until mixture boils and thickens, about two minutes.
- Remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.
Substitute ½ of the milk with chicken, beef or vegetable broth for additional flavor.
Are you a fan of the casserole? Another bonus – less dishes! —Karen