Move over, Toaster Strudels. Here comes a healthier alternative to apple goodness that will leave you feeling satisfied, energized and not make you want to go down for a nap. A past roommate of mine clued me into several vegan concoctions that are so easy and delicious that I’ll never go back to the ways of the processed again (or will try not to, anyways). And this Apple Toast Recipe is one of those tasty concoctions!
Apple Toast Recipe
Quick, simple and totally delicious, this is a healthier and vegan twist on the apple pastry.
2 slices of whole–wheat bread
2 tbsp almond butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Toast your choice of bread to the level of crispiness that you like. I’d suggest toasting it “al dente” where it’s crispy enough but still has some chewiness to it.
- While the bread is toasting, slice your apple into the thinnest possible slices you can. Trust me, it makes a difference in your experience. ½ a medium sized apple is enough for two slices of toast.
- As soon as your toast is ready, generously spread the almond butter on the entire slice of bread so that it melts nicely and evenly.
- Layer apple slices on the toast and sprinkle cinnamon in between each layer of apples to your liking. It’s up to you how many layers you add. I generally do about two or three.
- Not an apple fan? This is always fantastic with pears! Oh, and both chunky and creamy almond butter works great!
And that’s it! So simple, so delicious, so easy. How satisfying was that crunch? —Crystal